Sunday, November 17, 2013

Assessment

     I think that giving students just one kind of assessment test is not going to give the teacher an accurate measure of the ability of the students.  Some students test well and some do not, some can read read at a higher level and some at a lower level, and every student has different strengths and weaknesses.  So, I agree with the idea that teachers should give students several different kinds of assessments in order to determine their strengths and weaknesses.  One test is not going to tell you everything that you need to know about a student.  For example, I was very good at standardized tests in school not because I was super smart, but because I am a good test taker and guesser if I do not know the answer.  So, if a teacher based all their information on me off of one assessment they might not be able to see if I was struggling in an area because I was able to just guess the right answer.  Then there are the students who are the opposite of the way that I was and were smart kids, but they got too nervous during tests and so they did poorly.  

Would you give your students multiple types of assessments?
Is there a downside of giving multiple types of assessments?

picture: http://school.discoveryeducation.com/clipart/clip/dmbtest.html

No comments:

Post a Comment