Monday, October 21, 2013

Fluency

     When I read something I do not think about having to decode the words to figure out the meaning.  I know the meaning of the majority of the words that I am reading so I am able to go through them quickly because I developed my reading fluency when I was younger.  It is very interesting to think that there was a time that I could not just look at a book or article and not know what it said.  I use reading so often in my life that without reading fluency I would struggle to get through my homework and even my day.
     Also, I think that Word Walls are a great way to get children to learn the more difficult words that they come across.  I babysit this little girl who is six and we were reading a book the other day and she came across a word, I don't remember which one, but she said said,"Oh Lindsay I know that word because it is on my Word Wall at school."  Just to hear her say that shows me that the Word Wall is impacting her ability to read, so it is most likely impacting the other students in her classroom too.

What would your life be like if you were not a fluent reader?     
Can a Word Wall be too big?

This is a website that gives different ideas on how to help struggling readers: http://www.readingrockets.org/teaching/reading101/fluency/
     

No comments:

Post a Comment