Sunday, September 15, 2013

Building the Literacy Foundation

     This week, our reading was mostly about how to help students build their foundation for reading and writing.  As soon as I started reading about how it is important for children to pretend read and pretend write, I immediately thought about my own childhood.  I use to ask my parents to re-read the same books so many times that I had the entire thing memorized, and then I would go and "read" them to other people, but I was really just reciting the story that I knew by heart.  I would even memorize road signs so that whenever I would see those certain ones I could say, "Look Dad that says Stop, S-T-O-P, Stop."I also use to always try to write before I knew how to make the actual letters.  I would draw this line of scribbles and say something like, "Look Mom I wrote my name," when in fact it was just a bunch of random lines.
     Also during the reading, I really liked the idea of teaching children about letters and their sounds by using the different names of the students in the class.  Their names are important to them, so I think that doing activities such as asking all of the students whose names start with the letter s to stand up and the the letter r and so on.
     This website has some fun ideas for ways to help children learn their letters: http://blog.maketaketeach.com/10-activities-for-teaching-and-practicing-letters-and-sounds/

No comments:

Post a Comment